Saturday 8 January 2011

The city that never sleeps?

Hi y'all. This is your host writing from the heart of Babylon, New York City, US. I've been here since Monday the 3rd of January, and have met a great number of interesting people from all around the world. It's really easy to get to know people that stay in the same hostel, maybe because travellers on average tend to be a more open-minded and sociable crowd than let's say people from good ole JKL.

The hostel I'm staying at on 113th street in uptown Manhattan is cheap, nice and clean. Not luxurious, but I'm not too concerned with that. If the room has a bed, good temperature and a shower, it is good enough for me.

The first days I spent here I walked around with one of my friends from Jyväskylä. He left yesterday, so today I tagged along some American and British people who were going to go to the top of the Rockefeller Center. You could really see that this Rocky guy used to be the wealthiest man in the world by just looking at his skyscaper. I've also gone to see the Statue of Liberty, walked the Brooklyn bridge and had an authentic newyorkian hero sandwich. Also bought an acoustic guitar to torture my friends and roommates with during my exchange. It's a Breedlove Passport D200, and it cost me 330 dollars. Really good bang for the buck. Also, I guess that means I have 51 possessions. :D

Tonight at 10 PM my bus starts from the Port Authority bus station toward Richmond, Virginia. I'll be in Richmond at 5AM and then exchange buses to a one that goes to Kingsport, Tennessee, where someone is going to pick me up and take me to the campus. Let's just hope that the recent snowfall does not delay the buses too much. It has been cool to see New York for a couple of days, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing what Wise, VA has to offer.

I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment